Thursday, January 19, 2006

America in film

I hate the word “meme,” but it seems unavoidable in the blogosphere these days. More on the term “meme” another time; for now, I want to write about a film “meme” that’s been going around, asking for suggestions of films that would best explain America to non-Americans (via Majikthise).

There is now a gargantuan pile of lists dotted throughout virtual space. I have read a few, perhaps some of the first ones hot from the keyboard. What struck me was how “American” the lists were: enthusiastic, hopeful, fixated on the “best.”

When I think of films that explain America, I don’t necessarily think of the best America has to offer, socially, culturally or cinematically. I don’t think of explaining America’s history either. Instead, I think of film as caricature, as the extended and exaggerated portrayal that captures the essential truth of the portrayed. By this measure, many of my choices may seem cruel; others, not so. I now leave the list to speak for itself:

Deathwish
Animal House
Goodfellas
Hairspray
Independence Day
Showgirls
Blue Hawaii
American Graffiti
Do the Right Thing
Tender Mercies

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home